Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

233 and Counting

Over the 4th of July weekend, I played my 233rd different golf course, which was the Ocean County Golf Course at Atlantis. It's an old George Fazio track that has seen better days condition-wise, but it was a special round nonetheless. I played with my cousin Tripp McKeon, and what made it cool was that the course is where my great-grandfather, Sylvester Gorman, played his final round. He played it with my dad, my grandfather, and my great uncle back in the early to mid-sixties. So, it was a nostalgic trip (with Tripp). I never knew my great-grandfather, but he knew me when I was just a wee one. Hopefully I'll get back to the Atlantis soon with my dad so he can soak up the memories.

I'm still a long way from reaching my goal of 1,000 courses, but I'm making decent progress this year. It's the beginning of July, and I've played 11 new ones in 2008. So I'm less than halfway toward my goal of 30 new courses per year (I'd accept 25), but I'm working on a bunch in the coming months.

On the docket are the following:
1) Cross Creek Golf Club
2) Lake Presidential
3) Pendleton Golf Club
4) Royal County Down
5) Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
6) Royal Belfast
7) Ardglass Golf Club
8) Malone Golf Club
9) Medinah No. 3
10) Skokie Country Club
11) Scioto Country Club
12) OSU (Scarlet)
13) Coldstream Country Club
14) Atlantic Golf Club
15) Frog Hollow Golf Club

It's a solid list, so hopefully they'll all come to fruition. Is there anywhere exciting that you're looking to play before Labor Day arrives?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

let the record show this will be the first and last time Cross Creek will ever be on the same list as Scioto.

9:41 AM  
Blogger John Gorman said...

Chris-
You're definitely right about that. If I weren't playing Cross Creek tomorrow, it wouldn't be on here.

I'm also going to be playing Mount Pleasant (muni in Baltimore) in a couple of weeks at my brother's bachelor party. Have you played it? I hear it's fun.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Average Golfer said...

I live 40 miles from Malone Golf Club. It's 36 holes of wonderful golf plunked in the middle of nowhere. Worth the trip! If you only play 18, try the East Course. It's the majority of what was the original 18. Members alternate courses weekly I believe. Goog luck in the quest.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home